General Knowledge Certification
General Knowledge certification testing was discontinued in 2005, and NICET is no longer offering TT and AET grade certifications in the programs listed below. (Click on the links for information about program content.)
- Civil Engineering Technology
- Architectural/Building Engineering Technology
- Mechanical Engineering Technology
- Industrial Engineering Technology
- Electrical/Electronics Engineering Technology
- Electrical Testing Engineering Technology
- Electrical Power Engineering Technology
- Telecommunications Engineering Technology
All Active-Status General Knowledge certificants can retain their certification(s) by complying with NICET's Recertification Policy.
General Knowledge Designations
General Knowledge certification consists of four designations:
Technician Trainee (TT)
To attain a TT grade, the certificant passed Part A (the General Knowledge portion) of a two-part exam. In most programs, Part A tested communication skills, mathematics, and physical science. In Electrical Testing, Part A tested communication skills, mathematics, and electricity.
Associate Engineering Technician (AET)
To attain an AET grade, the certificant passed both parts of a two-part exam: Part A (described above) and Part B, a specialty exam based on the typical job tasks and knowledges of the technical certification area.
Engineering Technician (ET)
In addition to passing both Parts A and B of the two-part exam, the ET-grade certificant has satisfied the following requirements:
- at least five years of relevant work experience
- a technician personal recommendation form submitted by a qualified industry member who is familiar with the candidate's technical capabilities and professional character
Senior Engineering Technician (SET)
In addition to passing both Parts A and B of the two-part exam, the SET-grade certificant has satisfied the following requirements:
- at least fifteen years of relevant work experience
- two technician personal recommendation forms submitted by qualified industry members who are familiar with the candidate's technical capabilities and professional character
Upgrading a General Knowledge Certification
Certificants who hold an Active-status AET or ET grade certification can upgrade by meeting the upper-grade work experience and recommendation requirements and submitting the General Knowledge Upgrade application with the appropriate fees.
Applicable only to persons who became certified by passing a two-part (A/B) exam or were awarded certification due to an ABET-accredited college degree.
Current Certification Level Requested Certification Level Fee AET (Level II) ET (Level III)
ET (Level III) and SET (Level IV)
ET (Level III) SET (Level IV) $185