Certification Fees Reimbursement
A licensing and certification benefit allows the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) to pay eligible individuals for the cost of a test for a license or certification. These tests must be specifically approved for the G.I. Bill, and the exams required to obtain a NICET certification are covered by their reimbursement program.
Note: the VA will only pay for the cost of the test and not other fees connected with obtaining a license or certification. Since the cost of the exam covers the evaluation of the experience application, the "CDL Supplement Review" and "Expedited Evaluation" fees are not eligible for reimbursement per VA guidelines.
Candidates can receive reimbursement of up to $2,000 per test but not more than the actual cost of the test. Reimbursement for retesting is also available.
Individuals may receive this benefit if they are also eligible for:
- The Montgomery G.I. Bill – Active Duty (also called the MGIB or Chapter 30; this benefit is not available for the MGIB for reservists), or
- VEAP (also called Chapter 32), or
- Dependents' Educational Assistance (also called DEA or Chapter 35)
Military personnel generally have 10 years after their discharge from active duty to use their benefits.
To apply for reimbursement, candidates should send a copy of their NICET Score Reports to the VA office that handles their education benefits along with a note with the following information:
- Request for reimbursement
- Name and Social Security number or VA claim number
- The name of the test taken and the date taken
- Cost of the test
- The following statement: "I authorize release of my test information to VA."
Individuals who have never previously filed a claim for VA education benefits must also submit an application for benefits. Either of the following forms can be printed from the VA web site:
- VA Form 22-1990 for veterans or those on active duty
- VA Form 22-5490 for eligible children or spouses
The form to apply for the reimbursement of licensing and certification tests, can be found here: http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/docs/pamphlets/lc_brochure.pdf.