FAS Exams and I&TFAS Exam Credits
If your testing record shows that you have met the current exam requirements for certification in Fire Alarm Systems (FAS) at Level II or above, then you are eligible to apply for exam credit toward certification in Inspection and Testing of Fire Alarm Systems (I&TFAS) as detailed below:
FAS to I&TFAS – EXAM CREDIT SUMMARY
If you met the FAS exam requirement for:
Then you will have met the I&TFAS exam requirements for
Level III or Level IV
Levels I AND II
- If you have met the exam requirements for, or are certified to, FAS level II you are eligible to apply for exam credit and evaluation for certification to I&TFAS Level I, but you are not eligible to test for I&TFAS Level I.
- If you have met the exam requirements for, or are certified to, FAS levels III and/or IV, you are eligible to apply for exam credit and evaluation for certification to I&TFAS Levels I and II, but you are not eligible to test for I&TFAS Levels I and II.
To apply your FAS test records toward I&TFAS certification, complete and submit the following sections of the NICET application forms:
Work History: a single two-page work experience form for each position held at each of your employers. If you have previously submitted work experience accounts on file, you may only have to provide an update covering the period from the closing date of your last account to date.
please be sure to separate the FA and ITF percentages on Part I, Section 2 of the Work History, and provide a paragraph describing your FA and ITF duties on Part I, Section 3. Previously submitted FA duty descriptions that do not include I&TFAS duties will not count toward I&TFAS experience.
Verifier Data: this form must be completed one time by each individual who verifies your performance measures.
Performance Measures: These must be completed by a qualified verifier for:
- Level I, if you are applying for Level I certification
- Levels I and II, if you are applying for Level II certification
FAS to I&TFAS Application Review (optional)
The Application Review fee is to review FAS II/III/IV testing records for I&TFAS I and/or II testing credits. Application procedures need to be met. To see if you qualify for the review, click here to be taken to the FAS to I&TFAS test credit chart. Please allow up to 90 days for the evaluation to be completed
Mailing and Payment
There are two options, based upon the method of payment:
Pay by check:
Enclose a check (made out to “NICET”) with the completed application forms and mail to the appropriate address:
First-class mail using the U.S. Postal Services goes to:
c/o Bank of America
PO Box 418651
Boston, MA 02241-8651
Overnight Mailing goes to:
c/o Bank of America Lockbox Services
2 Morrissey Blvd
Dorchester, MA 02125
Pay online by credit card:
- To pay for the application review for I&TFAS Level I ONLY click here to be taken to the online payment form
- To pay for the application review for I&TFAS Level II click here to be taken to the online payment form
- paying for the Level II application review includes a review for Level I, so the performance measures for Levels I and II must be sent in for evaluation
Then mail the completed application forms to:
1420 King Street
Alexandria, VA 22314
Go to Fire Alarm Systems program page.
- This certification program was designed for engineering technicians working in the fire alarm industry who engage in a combination of the following fire alarm systems activities: system layout (plan preparation), system equipment selection, system installation, system acceptance testing, system trouble-shooting, system servicing, and system technical sales.
Go to Inspection and Testing of Fire Alarm Systems program page.
- This certification program is for engineering technicians engaged in the performance, documentation, planning, and coordination of periodic inspection and testing of existing fire alarm systems and their components.