Code of Ethics
NICET-certified engineering technicians and technologists recognize that the services they render have a significant impact on the quality of life for everyone. As they perform their duties and responsibilities on behalf of the public, employers, and clients, they shall demonstrate personal integrity and competence. Accordingly, certificants shall:
- Have due regard for the physical environment and for public safety, health, and well being. If their judgment is overruled under circumstances where the safety, health, property, or welfare of the public may be endangered, they shall notify their employer, client, and such other authority as may be appropriate. An employee shall initially express those concerns to the employer.
- Undertake only those assignments for which they are competent by way of their education, training, and experience.
- Perform their duties in an efficient and competent manner with fidelity and honesty.
- Admit and accept their own errors when proven wrong and never distort nor alter the facts in an attempt to justify their decisions.
- Avoid conflicts of interest whenever possible. When unavoidable, they shall disclose to their employer or client, in writing, any action that might create the appearance of a conflict of interest.
- Avoid receiving and granting bribery in all its forms.
- Strive to maintain their proficiency by updating their technical knowledge and skills in engineering technology.
- Not misrepresent or permit misrepresentation of their own or their associate's academic or professional qualifications nor exaggerate their degree of responsibility for any work.
- Not reveal facts, data, or information obtained in connection with services rendered without prior consent of the client or employer except as authorized by law.